Two way communications


I think I’m probably in a minority group, but I can honestly say that if social media does have a negative impact on my life, it’s probably through lack of use rather than excessive use.
          Feel free to take a look at my Facebook page, maybe I have made one post this year? Possibly two? For me I feel that interpersonal, and dyadic communication are the most valuable types of communication.
          Don’t get me wrong, social media has certainly added value to my life, without it, to contact my family I would have to place expensive international calls to my family in the UK. With social media, however, I can chat to them for free, and if they’re not available I can just drop an instant message.

          I do believe though, that social media is intoxicating for some people. As McLuhan says, “media shape the process of thought,” and I think we are in danger of losing interpersonal communication as a skill.

Comments

  1. I definitely agree with you Andy! (although I think you're right, you're in the minority...) And I probably would be considered in that same minority if we measure our relationship with social media based on posts, although, I definitely follow others through social media almost daily (I just don't comment or engage with others on social media platforms very often).

    You've gotten me thinking about interpersonal communication vs mass communication or even social media communication. It's interesting how much we communicate through body language, tone of voice, and through facial expression: there really is no alternative or equivalent way of communicating (except maybe Skype or Facetime - with a good internet connection). Hopefully if people are cognizant of this we can ensure the skill of interpersonal and two way communication remain intact for future generations.

    Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you're coming from, Andy. Social media is definitely intoxicating for far too many people. The dopamine people crave from getting x amount of likes, comments, or views, can be addictive. It is a lesson of balance for many to be able to use social media for their own good (for example, like you said, international communication) but not to let it get out of hand so that it hinders their growth and time management skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely relate . I find that social media creates a lot of opportunities to communicate with family. The WhatsApp group I have with my Mum and brother is what keeps us all up-to-date with each other, and without it the three of us would not have the chance to all interact at the same time since we all live in different places.
    The point Rachel makes about meta-communication skills is a huge concern -- how are we supposed to communicate effectively without being able to read facial expressions and body language? My hope is that we become better with our words, speaking and listening with more care; however, I haven't yet seen proof of that happening. Maybe it is something we all need to be more cognizant of so we can work toward it and make up for the pieces of the communication puzzle we are starting to miss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts